- Secondary Storage:
Start by describing the difference between primary and secondary
storage. What different secondary storage devices do you know, and what are
their advantages and disadvantages?
- Relational databases: Describe
how a relational database works. What are the advantages over other possible
models of databases? Give examples of database programs that use the
- History of Computing: Describe
the history of computing from 1940 until 2000 with emphasis on the CPU and
- Viruses, Worms, Trojan Horses: What are they,
why are they dangerous, what can be done against them?
- Software: What is software? What kind of software do you know? What
is software piracy, and what is the open-source movement?
- The Internet: How
exactly does it work? When you click on a link, describe in detail what
happens then. What happens if you fill out a form on the internet and submit
your data? Discuss the different internet services available, outside the
world wide web.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different technologies (phone
line dial-up connection, ISDN, …) used for connecting to the internet.
- Operating Systems: What are they, what different operating systems
are in use, discuss their advantages and disadvantages.
- Google, Search Engines, and Directories: What are search engines,
what are their relationship to directories, what is advanced search, how do
search machines work internally? What are the advantages of Google over
other search engines?
- HTML: What is HTML, how is it used? Describe different ways to
create an html document. In what respect is a web page, an html document,
different from a Word file? What is XML and CSS, and what are their relation